Thursday, March 6, 2014

LENT - That I may know Him and the Power of His resurrection



I was challenged by a comment made on facebook regarding Lent.  Unfortunately it was a very uneducated and judgmental comment.  It angered me but at the same time saddened me.  I've only been observing Lent for two day and have already experienced so much joy and excitement in drawing near to Him in this time.  It makes me sad for that person...I felt they were missing out on this sweet opportunity to share with Christ in His sufferings (not that I could ever suffer in the way He did- but I can be reminded of His sufferings through denying myself something)  As someone who is new to this concept of Lent, it challenged me to really dig deep into why I wanted to observe it.  One of my favorite bloggers wrote a BEAUTIFUL explanation of Lent over at her blog "Life in Grace" If you have time...I HIGHLY suggest reading it.

Ultimately, we all choose to grow in our relationships with Christ in different ways. As someone who grew up in a church that didn't observe Lent, I've very much felt like I've missed out over the years. Since moving to Oklahoma City, MANY of the Christian churches here observe Lent. It's a beautiful time to reflect on the days leading up to Christ's sacrifice & a reminder OF that sacrifice. 

Easter is HUGE for me...it's the day that I was saved from eternal death! I am more than happy to give something up to be reminded of ALL Christ gave up for me...to be quite honest...it's probably something I should try to do EVERY day!  My sole desire as a follower of Jesus is this: "that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death," Philippians 3:10

If you choose to observe Lent...just know that it looks different for EVERYONE!  You can give up food, social media, beverages, sleep (getting up early for quiet time), you can change it up each week...it's between you & God.  All that matters is that your focus is on Jesus, the temptation & suffering He endured for YOU!  

My church and another church in the area have collaborated on a daily devotional for this season.  Feel free to download it and use it on your journey!  

If you choose to participate, please let me know how it's going & what God is teaching you through it!

1 comment:

RETA said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Lent. What a sweet and sincere faith you have. May you have a blessed Easter Day!

RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com